Eucalyptol is a natural organic compound which is a colorless liquid. It is a cyclic ether and a monoterpenoid. Eucalyptol is an ingredient in many brands of mouthwash and cough suppressant. It controls airway mucus hypersecretion and asthma via anti-inflammatory cytokine inhibition. Eucalyptol is an effective treatment for nonpurulent rhinosinusitis. Eucalyptol reduces inflammation and pain when applied topically. It kills leukaemia cells in vitro.
Although the name originated from the Australian eucalyptus tree, eucalyptol is found in several plants, including tea tree, cardamom, rosemary, sage and bay leaves. First isolated by a French chemist in 1870, it is also commonly called 1,8-cineole.
The terpene has a minty scent, with hints of spice and honey. The scent is most often associated with massage balms for aching joints and muscles. It can also be likened to camphor and has a cooling effect.
Eucalyptus oil, and thus eucalyptol, are very popular in aromatherapy; inhaling eucalyptus oil has been shown ease pain and lower blood pressure. In other words, always smell your cannabis.
- Shows potential to fight tuberculosis.
- Prevents both the spread of malignant cells and creation of cholesterol.
- Causes the death of colon cancer cells and leukemia cells.
- Improves the lung function, asthma symptoms, and quality of life of asthma patients.
- Has an anti-inflammatory effect on bronchial asthma.
- Sinus infections can be successfully treated with cineole.
- An effective anti-bacterial that can fight E. coli, Staph. aureus, and more.
- An anti-inflammatory that agent can help with neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Anti-fungal but MSU developed a type of fungus that produces eucalyptol that shows great potential as a fuel additive.
- Improves circulation and decreases pain when used topically for peripheral neuropathy.
The eucalyptol oil is a perfect addition to a homemade pain balm. Eucalyptus, rosemary and other aromatic essential oils with eucalyptol can be combined with coconut and jojoba oils for a light massage oil. It can be massaged into the painful areas several times each day for relief. A warm essential oil can be added to complement the cooling sensation of the eucalyptol. Those who are feeling mentally drained and unable to keep track of information have found eucalyptol to be an effective treatment. It can be used to help balance sleep patterns and overall mental functioning.
Cannabis Strains with Eucalyptol
- Super Silver Haze
- Bubba Kush
- Girl Scout Cookies
The properties of the Eucalyptol oil help to loosen phlegm and rid the body of toxic organisms and chemicals that are contributing to the illness. Those who are feeling ill can place several drops in the diffuser before falling asleep. However, it is important to have tissues and other supplies handy for the mucous that is expelled via these treatments.