Although it is true that you get what you pay for, even cheaper vaporizers can last that little bit longer when properly maintained. If you ever needed a reason to clean your vaporizer, think of the following example: After we eat, we clean our teeth.
Not only does it keep our teeth healthy, but it prevents the food we ate yesterday from ruining or tainting the flavour of our meals today. The same reasoning applies to vaporizers. By not correctly cleaning them, you will destroy the character, taste, and subsequent high of any vaped herb. Also, expect those attributes to get progressively worse the longer you avoid cleaning.
If you have recently begun consuming cannabis from a vaporizer, then you know that there are a lot of new factors to take into consideration. For a month or two, the hits can feel velvety smooth and so delicious, but after residue and other particles build up, the quality of the smoke changes immensely and it is clear that the vaporizer suddenly becomes much in need of a good cleaning.
The thought of cleaning out a vaporizer may seem time consuming or even sometimes intimidating, but the process itself does not have to be.
Whether you are utilizing a vaporizer for dry herb, oil cartridges, wax, or something in between, this article provides a simple explanation so that even complete beginners can effortlessly clean out their device when it reaches that point in time.
It is important to recognize that part of the regular maintenance of your vaporizing device should be proper cleaning and care; this helps to prolong the overall life of your vape, saving you a lot of money and maybe even some time in the long run.
Also, do not feel ashamed at all about not knowing how to clean your device; almost everyone that begins vaping is not familiar with this process, because the method in which the cleaning must be conducted is by no means intuitive. It just takes some practice, and sooner or later you will be tidying up your vape like a pro.
If you are noticing that the quality of your smoke has changed to the point where it is no longer an enjoyable experience, do not feel discouraged — and definitely do not assume your vaporizer is broken.
There are two options to try before worrying about something being seriously wrong inside of your vaporizer.
USE 99% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
Generally speaking, isopropyl alcohol is the best solution you can use to clean a vaporizer without damaging key parts, or impacting the skin on your hands. To start with, either dab a cloth or the end of a cotton bud in the alcohol and start cleaning around the following areas:
- The rim of the herb chamber
- Any screens
- The mouthpiece
Pay particular attention to the mouthpiece; after all, it is the one part of the vaporizer that you come into contact with every time you vape.
On most devices, the screens are removable. If you have a particularly bad buildup of residue, you can remove the screen and soak it in the isopropyl alcohol. Only ever soak glass or steel elements. For anything else, see tip number three for further advice. If, however, there are any wood finishes to the vaporizer, these need to be avoided entirely, for the isopropyl alcohol will stain or discolour wooden parts.
To perform a deep clean, which should be done every month or two anyways, especially if you are utilizing the vape on a daily or regular basis.
Especially with cannabis, the residue inside of a vaporizer can be tough to remove and will build up fast, so a deep clean is crucial.
- Instead of filling the bowl with warm water, use some strong, flavorless vodka (or another clear spirit). This high proof liquid will help to cut down the grease, gunk and residue, and it is not as strong as rubbing alcohol, which evaporates quite quickly anyways. (Also, you DONOT want to use harsh chemicals like degreaser or mineral spirits).
- If certain trouble spots just simply do not seem to be washing away, you will need to scrub with your hands using a small brush or a paper towel. Choose a material that is not too rough, so you do not damage the fragile compartment parts. Be sure to scrub using the vodka or spirit.
- After the alcohol soak, pour out the liquid and fill the bowl up with warm water, rinsing away any of the remaining vodka. To make sure none is left, complete the warm water rinse 2 or 3 times.
- With a clean cloth or paper towel, hand dry all the pieces and set them aside to air dry for 5-20 minutes, until you feel they are ready to be assembled again.
- Reassemble the pieces and enjoy smoking a smooth, velvety vape once more!