Cannabis Infused tea
Cannabis tea can be made in a variety of ways from many different ingredients depending on your personal preferences. A few methods include:
- An infusion of dry flowers and water (less psychoactive because THC is not water-soluble).
- A mixture of cannabis infused with fat (e.g., coconut oil, butter, and/or dairy) combined with tea leaves and water to make a latte-esque beverage.
- A mixture of tea and an alcohol-based extraction, such as a tincture.
Unfortunately, making infused tea that provides the wide variety of medicinal and psychoactive effects cannabis offers isn’t as simple as you might think. THC extraction can be a little finicky thanks to decarboxylation and solubility factors, but fear not: once you understand a few simple concepts, it’s all green fields from there!
During the process of decarboxylation, the non-intoxicating compound THCA is converted to the compound THC, activating different medicinal and psychoactive properties (read more about THCA’s unique medicinal properties here). The heat applied to cannabis when smoking or vaporizing provokes decarboxylation without any extra effort on our part. When making edibles, the process naturally occurs when the cannabis is cooked with butter or oils, or when hash and kief are added to a favorite recipe and then heated on the stove.
If you choose to decarboxylate your cannabis using a heating method before adding it to the tea, remember that the optimal time and temperature for decarboxylation may vary depending on the following factors:
- The amount of moisture in your product
- How much product you use
- The type of oven you have access to (e.g., gas or electric)
We’ve got two cozy recipes to share. This cannabis-infused golden milk with a medicated coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant rich–the most luxurious way to end the night. The cannabis tea with rose and chamomile recipe can be adapted a million and one ways; simply use your tea leaf or flower of choice along with your ground cannabis and steep your worries away.
Golden Marijuana Milk With Medicated Coconut Oil
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Dosage: This depends on the potency of your cannabis coconut oil. You can always add more or less depending on your tolerance.
- 1 tablespoon medicated coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1” piece fresh turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 ½” piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Ground cinnamon, for serving
- Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and add the medicated coconut oil.
- Simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon.
Marijuana Infused Tea With Rose and Chamomile
Prep time: 5 minutes
Steep time: 5-10 minutes
Dosage: This depends on the potency of your cannabis. You can always add more or less depending on your tolerance.
- Cannabis infused honey, optional
- 2 teaspoons ground cannabis trim, stems, or buds
- Coconut milk, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried chamomile
- 2 teaspoons dried rose buds
- You can choose to decarboxylate your dried herb beforehand or not. (Again, this depends on whether you’re looking for the benefits of THCA or THC.)
- Add all dried flowers in a tea infuser and steep in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy with additional cannabis-infused honey and/or coconut milk for added effects.